​​If you need to speak with your probation officer but don't know how to reach them please contact the nearest probation office listed on our contact page.

  • Traditional office appointments may continue to be conducted via phone and/or in the community as directed by your probation officer.
  • To find your next court date(s) and/or learn how to attend court (in-person or virtual) please visit https://kanecourt.org/.
  • https://kanecourt.org/ can also tell you how to make a payment on your case and receive text reminders for future court dates.
  • Meals ready to eat, hygiene kits, winter coats, and sleeping bags can be delivered to those in need. Ask your probation officer.​​

​General Probation FAQ

Can my Probation Officer help me with Veteran's Services?

Yes. Please visit the Court Services Resources page and the Veteran's Commission.

How can I find employment or internship opportunities with Kane County Court Services?

Employment postings can be found at http://countyofkane.org/Pages/Employment.aspx

What is the difference between Parole and Probation?

Probation and parole are both alternatives to incarceration.
Probation often occurs instead of jail or prison time.
Parole is an early release from prison.
People placed on probation could reasonably be sent to prison but the Judge feels probation may help them rehabilitate. Both probationers and parolees are supervised and are expected to follow certain rules and ordered conditions.

How do I contact the Parole Board/Office?

The Sixteenth Judicial Circuit and Adult Probation Services are not part of the Illinois or Federal Parole Boards or their offices. You may reach the Illinois Parole Board at 800-666-6744. Additional information can be found at https://www.illinois.gov/prb/Pages/default.aspx and https://www.illinois.gov/idoc/parole/Pages/default.aspx.

What is the difference between the County Clerks and Circuit Clerks Offices?

The County Clerk is the administrative office to the County. Duties include serving as Secretary to the Board; issuing business and liquor licenses; issuing solid waste hauler licenses; issuing Notary Public licenses. Vital records (birth, death, marriage certificates), elections, and tax collection are also managed by the County Clerk's office.
The Circuit Clerk is the administrative officer to the 16th Judicial Circuit Court. The Circuit Clerk is responsible for court, probation, traffic, child support fines and fees. All questions regarding court or legal issues should be directed to the Office of the Circuit Clerk.

Is the Adult Probation Services a State Probation system or a County based system?

Adult Probation Services is a county based probation system, in that, the County Board has budget authority and determines compensation.

Where do I pay my fees, fines and restitution?

Fees, fines and restitution are collected at the Office of the Circuit Clerk.

What is a violation of probation (VOP)?

Statutory violations occur when a defendant is charged with new offenses while monitored by probation. Technical violations occur when conditions of probation are not met. Violations of probation are typically referred to the State's Attorney's Office for further court action.

What is an Administrative Sanction?

An Administrative Sanction may be imposed by the Probation Officer as allowed by Illinois statute. An Administrative Sanction would be imposed in lieu of technical violations being referred to the court.

How can I get off probation early?

Probationers can be recommended as candidates for early termination when the following conditions are met:
1. 75% of the term of probation sentence has been completed.
2. The probationer has not been arrested for any criminal offense during the period of probation.
3. The criminal offense for which Defendant was sentenced to probation was a non-violent offense.
4. All conditions of probation have been completed, including any recommended treatment and payment of court fines and costs.
5. The probationer has been classified at a minimum risk level using an AOIC risk/needs assessment, or the probationer has completed cognitive-based programming through Court Services.

What should I do if I cannot make it to my probation appointment?

Contact your Probation Officer directly as soon as possible if you know you will not be able to make an appointment. It is the responsibility of the probationer to keep scheduled appointments and arrange for appropriate transportation. Variable office hours are available in each probation office to accommodate ​probationers with typical 9-5 employment situations. If you are not certain who your Probation Officer is you can contact the general office phone number with your name and case number. You will then be transferred to the appropriate extension. See the contact us​ page.

What happens if I miss court?

You need to contact your private attorney or Public Defender's Office. The Circuit Clerk's Office provides additional explanation regarding appearance expectations on scheduled court dates. The Circuit Clerk's Office also explains various options should an individual discover that a "Failure to Appear" warrant has been issued.

How do I set up my court ordered Community Service Hours?

You will need to complete an application for CRS and submit it to your assigned probation Office. Once the application has been received by the CRS coordinator you will receive a letter in the mail informing you of your assigned work location.

Adult Probation FAQ

How often do I have to report to a PO?

This varies depending upon risk assessment scoring. Following initial intake appointments, probationers will be scheduled to report to probation office appointments based upon scoring of an AOIC-approved risk/needs assessment. Other compliance considerations or ordered conditions may result in more frequent reporting requirements.

What should I bring to my probation appointment?

Probationers should always bring a photo ID and proof of address to their initial probation appointments. Proof of completion of other terms of probation should be provided to the Probation Officer.

How do I transfer to another Illinois jurisdiction (Intrastate transfer)?

Instanter transfer: If at the time of sentencing a defendant has verified residency in an Illinois county other than that in which he/she is sentenced, supervision will be transferred to and accepted by the county of residency as allowed by Administrative Office of Illinois Courts (AOIC) rules. Non-instanter transfer: If a defendant wishes to move to another jurisdiction during their term of probation, they are not permitted to relocate residency without prior approval of the Kane County probation department. Several conditions must first be met prior to authorization of transfer of supervision.

How do I transfer to another state (Interstate transfer)?

Instanter transfer: If at the time of sentencing a defendant had verified residency in another state at the time of offense, supervision will be transferred to that state as allowed by Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision (ICAOS) rules. Other supervision plan conditions may allow for instanter transfers if the probationer has resident family and a means of support in the receiving state. Non-instanter transfer: If a defendant wishes to move to another state during their term of probation, the probationer may apply for transfer if they are found to be eligible under ICAOS rules. Eligibility for transfer under ICAOS rules does not guarantee that the receiving state will accept the probation transfer. ICAOS rules carry the full weight and effect of Federal Law and supercede any contradictory court-ordered language. Note: A $125 fee is required to apply for interstate transfer of probation supervision. The fee is applied to an extradition fund for mandatory retaking of defendants when nationwide, no-bond warrants are issued. Applicants are required to sign an extradition waiver with their application for Interstate transfer. ICAOS rules specify various circumstances in which mandatory retaking of defendants must occur. In such circumstances a nationwide, no bond warrant must be issued Kane County.

How do I get a Driver's License reinstated?

Visit https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/BAIID/reinstate.html for more information.

How do I sign up for my DUI Victim Impact Panel?

See our contact us​​​ page for more information.

How do I go about getting char​ges expunged?

For expungement info please visit http://www.illinois.gov/osad/Expungement/Pages/default.aspx. Expungement forms for the 16th Circuit can be found at http://www.cic.co.kane.il.us/Pages/Forms.aspx.

Juvenile Probation FAQ

What happens when the minor completes Probation?

The minor is termed successfully or unsuccessfully by the Juvenile Court, depending on whether the minor has completed the terms of the probation. The case will be closed.

Can the minor get his records expunged?

Please visit the following site for expungement information: http://www.illinois.gov/osad/Expungement/Pages/default.aspx.

Is my record automatically wiped clean when I turn 18?

No. Records need to get be sealed or expunged. Please visit the following site for more information: http://www.illinois.gov/osad/Expungement/Pages/Expungement-and-Sealing-General-Information.aspx.

What is Diversion?

"Diversion" refers to the process of managing juvenile cases through non-court processes. It helps low-risk juveniles who are unlikely to re-offend avoid the stigma and stress that can result from delinquency adjudication. Diversion provides opportunities for community partners and victims to take more active roles in the management of low-risk juvenile offenders. Diversion processes reduce burdens on the court system, which otherwise would find it impossible to adjudicate every offender referred to it. Diversion also is considerably less expensive and faster than the formal court processes. Diversion reduces probation caseloads as well, enabling the division to better allocate resources to more serious offenders.

Diagnostic Center FAQ

The Judge ordered me to participate in a psychological evaluation. Do I call and schedule an appointment?​

Your court order will be automatically submitted to KCDC. When your case is assigned, you will receive a call from the psychologist to schedule an appointment.

I need a prescription for psychiatric medications. Can I get medication at KCDC?

No, KCDC does not have psychiatrists on staff. You can get psychiatric medications from a psychiatrist or your general practitioner at any medical doctor’s office.

I am interested in counseling. Do you take referrals from anyone?

No. KCDC only serves individuals who are court-involved. All services, including individual therapy, family therapy and psychological evaluations are done by court order.

I am on conditional discharge and do not have a probation officer or attorney representing me. How do I make sure the court order was sent to KCDC for an evaluation?

You can call the main line at (630) 262-4480 to speak with support staff who will guide you on the steps you need to take.

Do I need to bring my insurance card to the appointment? What if I do not have insurance?

Your insurance will not be charged for your psychological services.

What is a psychological evaluation?

Psychological Evaluations provide an in-depth understanding of an individual’s mental health status and provide diagnostic clarification and treatment recommendations, using evidence based psychological tests and extensive review of collateral information. Psychological Evaluations can focus on emotional functioning, cognitive functioning, neurological development, or risk assessments for problematic behaviors.

How long is the appointment for a psychological evaluation?

Depending on the nature of the evaluation that is being court-ordered, you can expect to be at KCDC 4-6 hours for the initial evaluation. Often, a second appointment will be necessary that may require 2-3 more additional hours.

Do I need to bring anything to the appointment?

If you are on medication, a list of your current medications would be helpful. Any past psychological evaluations you had done and any prior psychiatric hospital records would expedite the procedure. If you do not have copies of your mental health records, do not worry. We will ask you to sign a Release of Information to authorize the release of your records and we will request the records ourselves.

How will the results of the psychological evaluation get communicated to the Court? Do I need to come and pick up my report?

The psychological evaluation will be automatically submitted to the Court for the next court date. You will not be able to receive a copy of your evaluation because the Court is the client and it is written for the Court’s use and purpose. However, if you would like to know your results, you can schedule an appointment with the psychologist who administered your evaluation and they will give you verbal feedback. You can also obtain a copy of your treatment recommendations once your evaluation is submitted to court.

Is a psychological evaluation confidential?

No. The usual confidential relationship between client and the psychologist does not apply in matters of civil and criminal litigation. The report will be provided to your attorney, the judge and the prosecution unless otherwise specified in the court order.

Juvenile Justice Center FAQ

Can the residents receive phone calls?

No. Residents are not allowed to receive incoming phone calls. Residents will have an opportunity to make free phone calls to their parents/guardians on a daily basis during privilege time as long as they are demonstrating positive behavior.

Can the residents receive mail?

Yes. All mail must go through the United States Postal Service. Address mail to: Juvenile Justice Center, {Resident's Name}, 37W655 IL Route 38, St. Charles, IL 60175. Only letters or cards are allowed. No packages will be accepted and will be returned to the sender.

Can the residents receive money and other items?

No. The Juvenile Justice Center supplies the juveniles with clothing, hygiene, food and commissary items.

Do the residents attend school while they are being detained?

Yes. The Academic Program is staffed by certified teachers who are employed by the Regional Office of Education. The program is a year-round accredited school program which allows residents the opportunity to continue their education while detained.

Does the Juvenile Justice Center have religious services?

Yes. The Juvenile Justice Center offers all residents weekly non-denominational Bible study. Residents do not have to participate if they choose not to attend.

Does the Juvenile Justice Center have medical health care services?

Yes. Each resident is provided with medical care from the time of admission throughout their period of detention. This continuous care includes a medical screening for his/her clinical history (by the admitting staff) at the time of admission and a health assessment by the Juvenile Justice Center nurse following the admission. A nursing assessment is routinely given when a resident remains in custody after his or her detention hearing, or when a resident has been sentenced. The JJC also has a site physician and psychiatrist who see residents on a weekly basis.

Does the Juvenile Justice Center have mental health services?

Yes. The Juvenile Justice Center psychologist and the Kane County Diagnostic Center provide mental health crisis intervention services for residents in the Juvenile Justice Center. The JJC employs a psychologist. Whenever the psychologist is not available and services are needed, the on-call psychologist from the Kane County Diagnostic Center is contacted.

Does the Juvenile Justice Center need volunteers?

Yes. The Juvenile Justice Center welcomes volunteers to help provide educational and recreational support for residents. Volunteer opportunities include tutoring in reading, math, computer skills, library maintenance and art classes. All volunteer activities are provided on site under the supervision of the JJC staff. Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older and complete an application form, interview, and background check. Additional information can be obtained by calling 630-406-7480.

What is the difference between the Kane County Juvenile Justice Center and the Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice (IDJJ)?

Other than residents who have been sentenced, the majority of residents' cases at the county-run Juvenile Justice Center are pre-adjudicatory. This means they are still waiting for the outcome of their case, or the "disposition" of their case, before being released to their parent, guardian, residential placement or the state-run Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice. The Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice is post-adjudicatory, meaning the residents have been found guilty of a delinquent offense and the resident was ordered to serve their sentence at the state facility. Residents in the Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice can remain there until they are 21-years-old. The Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice is located at 3825 Campton Hills Road, St. Charles, IL 60175. 630-584-0506

Can I set up a tour of the detention center for my child?

Due to both security and confidentiality issues, tours of the secure portions of the facility are not allowed.